5 TIPS: SLAY THE BEAST-GETTING YOUR BOOK FINISHED
Woo-hoo! I set a goal of one book per year, and my next book, “Supernatural Poetry,” has just been released and is available at Amazon.
How do you slay procrastination the double-headed monster of procrastination and writer’s block? How should you motivate yourself to finish your writing projects?
“FINISHED IS BETTER THAN PERFECT”
Procrastination is a huge hurdle in writer’s block. Below are a few ideas to help you slay that beast:
1. Set a realistic deadline and have someone hold you accountable. This has worked for me thus far. I made an announcement to my dear relatives in Chicago, who live 1,500 miles away, that I would have a new book done when I visit each year. I do not want to let them down.
2. Write down your goal. It must be in writing. Make it realistic and specific, such as: “Write four chapters by the last day of this month.” Put this goal in a visible place.
3. Write yourself 5 motivational notes such as, “Get that chapter done by next Monday.” Have fun with it. Imagine starting off your day with a note that reads “I believe in you!” Put those 5 notes in unusual places around the house. You could try the refrigerator, the bathroom mirror, a lampshade, inside your slippers, and on your computer.
4. Reward yourself when you meet a goal. This does not have to be expensive or elaborate, simply memorable. For example, you could stash five Snickers bars away and only allow yourself to eat one after you accomplish your goal.
5. Most of all, remember that finished is better than perfect. Your grammar and punctuation must be perfect, but the inner content does not need all the rewrites that we writers suffer through.
Huzzah! My latest book, “Supernatural Poetry,” is a fusion of my photography and poetry. It is such a great feeling to slay that writer’s block beast and get it done! It is available at Amazon. You can peek inside by clicking on the following link: http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-Poetry-Nancy-Kennedy/dp/1492388947/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382294012&sr=8-1&keywords=cronin+detzz
Keep writing and keep sharing! – Cronin Detzz